- Started in 2010
- Dixie State University is our main partner and hosts the camp.
- eSMART means: exploring Science, Math And Related Technologies.
- Annual summer camp for girls entering 8th grade to encourage pursuing STEM classes, higher education and STEM careers.
- 701 girls have participated in the camps since inception.
- Many of the campers have gone on to pursue STEM classes in High School, continue on to college and have indicated an interest in STEM Careers. 5% of our first group of campers are biology majors at DSU now!
- Camp sessions have grown from a two-day camp in 2010 with 40 girls, to two separate two-day camps in 2011 with 80 girls, to two three-day camps in 2011 with 80 girls, to one five-day camp in 2016 for 80 girls. The five-day camp format was so successful, that we are keeping it!
- Camp is the only over-night STEM camp in St. George. It is also one of just a few camps that cover all STEM topics.
- Camp sessions include subject matter workshops, team building exercises, art, physical activity and fun time.
- STEM Workshop instructors are generally women professionals (some retired) and STEM educators from the St. George Area.
- Campers and their guardians provide some basic information.
- Camp fee is $150 -this is all inclusive.
- Need-based fee waivers are available -require $10 registration fee.
- An email allowing campers to request a specific roommate will be sent out close to the start of camp.
- Funding is provided through AAUW fundraisers, grants, and private donations. Our main fundraiser is a luncheon held every spring (see Special Events at the top for more information).
- Funding agencies in the past have included:
- Dixie State University
- Utah Nonprofit Association
- Eccles Foundation
- The Lady Elks of Lodge 1743
- Many members of the AAUW St. George branch