- Started in 1986
- First project of the St. George Branch of AAUW.
- Founded with the goal to reach under-served communities – those outside the “usual” realm of scholarship giving:
- Current DSU women who show need and the ability to finish their degrees.
- Continuing Scholars: Women who dropped out of college and want to re-enter because they are highly motivated to finish.
- Women interested in STEM professions, including former eSMART campers.
- The number of Scholarships given has grown each year from 1 in 1986 to an unprecedented 34 in 2016.
- In 2014 formed partnership with the Women’s Resource Center at Dixie State University to foster mentorships between students and “real life” business women.
- In 2015, a mentorship component was added, with AAUW members acting as mentors to recipients.
- The amount of scholarship awards varies year to year depending upon funds raised throughout the year. Standard amount is $1,000.
- Scholarship applications are open to AAUW eSMART campers, previous winners, re-entering students, and current DSU women
- Application consists of online form and essay, then an oral interview.
- Written applications are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee to narrow down the field.
- Oral interviews are held by Committee Member team of two.
- Recommendations are made to and voted on by the full Scholarship Committee for the final scholarship awardees.
- Scholarships are presented each May at a special St. George AAUW awards luncheon.